23.1.14

Beyonce X Flawless X Chinmamanda X Music Video


Beyonce does it right everytime.
I know one half of spectators are obsessed with Beyonce's album while the other half hates her guts in general (Illuminati this, overrated, blah, blah.). 
Listening to her album with a neutral listening palette I have considered "Flawless" as one of my favorite songs. Specifically the part in the song about women empowerment. Not only does it spell out Beyonce feeling slightly disrespected in the industry and being wonderfully and beautiful made like everyone else is but the assumed roles women are supposed to play in modern day society.


"We teach girls to shrink themselves...


To make themselves smaller

We say to girls

"You can have ambition
But not too much
You should aim to be successful
But not too successful
Otherwise you will threaten the man"
Because I am female
I am expected to aspire to marriage
I am expected to make my life choices
Always keeping in mind that
Marriage is the most important
Now marriage can be a source of
Joy and love and mutual support
But why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage
And we don't teach boys the same?
We raise girls to each other as competitors
Not for jobs or for accomplishments
Which I think can be a good thing
But for the attention of men
We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings
In the way that boys are
Feminist: the person who believes in the social
Political, and economic equality of the sexes."





Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a 36 year old critically acclaimed writer from Nigeria. She is a large part of the new generation of African literature taking its place to dynamically effect the world through writing. She has degrees from Drexel University, University of Nigeria, John Hopkins University, Eastern Connecticut University and Yale University with numerous awards for her work and published books.

Pretty accurate to say the lines, I try not to fit into that box for the betterment of me. I've also been reading this book with I will do a review on when I finish it which elaborates on some of the points she makes in her speech.
What do you think about the quote?***



No comments: